Close this search box.

Devon Carbon Plan Summary

This is a summary  of the Devon Carbon Plan, it’s shorter than the full document and provides details about the key parts of the Plan. Local policy makers who want to know how the Devon Carbon Plan can influence their work would benefit from this version.



  • Reducing the need to travel
  • Shifting to sustainable transport options
  • Using technology to reduce emissions from vehicles

10.1  Introduction

Transport accounts for 30% of Devon’s greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. The overwhelming majority of these (98%) is from road transport. The remaining 2% is from rail.1

Aviation and shipping emissions are not included in the transport footprint but would add 3% and 0.3% respectively to Devon’s total emissions.1 

This section describes what needs to happen to achieve a net-zero transport system in Devon based mainly on the Climate Change Committee’s (CCC) Further Ambition Scenario. It introduces goals which need to be achieved to overcome barriers identified at the Thematic Hearings and the Public Call for Evidence to achieving net-zero. Actions are proposed to achieve the goals. 

10.2 The Change Needed

10.2.1 Reduce the need to travel

10.2.2 Shift to sustainable transport options

10.2.3 Use technology to reduce emissions from vehicles

10.3 Greenhouse Gas Outcomes

10.4 Other Opportunities and Benefits

10.5 Devon’s Goals to Meet Net-Zero

10.5.1 Goal TA – Relocalisation and Technology Reduces Our Need to Travel

10.5.2 Goal TB – Using Active, Shared and Public Transport is Safe, Efficient and Affordable

10.5.3 Goal TC – Alternatives to Private Car Use Are Available Alongside Measures to Make Car-Use Less Attractive

10.5.4 Goal TD – It is Easy to Transition Between Different Types of Travel and Transport

10.5.5 Goal TE – Electric Vehicles Become Commonplace

10.5.6 Goal TF – Flying is Reduced and Devon is Contributing to Low Carbon Aviation

10.5.7 Goal TG – Freight Distribution is More Efficient

10.5.8 Goal TH – Larger Vehicles have Transitioned to Low Carbon Technologies

10.6 Summary of the Actions

10.7 Milestones

10.8 References

Scroll to Top