Climate Impacts Group
The climate is already changing and we all need to prepare to live in a warmer world.
The Climate Impacts Group has used its knowledge to create a Devon, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Adaptation Strategy. This considers how the region and its citizens can adapt to living in a warmer world.
Minutes of the latest meeting:
Terms of Reference
To work collaboratively with the Devon, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly climate emergency projects operating in each of the three localities to use its expertise to help:
- to coordinate and oversee the delivery of regional action on adaptation, aligning with action on climate mitigation wherever possible.
- prepare communities and organisations for the necessary adaptations to infrastructure, services and behaviours that will be required to respond to the effects of a changing climate.
- improve the resilience of public health, the natural environment, our economy and infrastructure to the effects of climate change now and in the future.
The Climate Impacts Group will prepare a strategic-level Adaptation Plan, that will include:
- An appraisal of the projected climate change for the region in the 21st century
- Determination of the current risks held by the Local Resilience Forum in the Community Risk Register that will be affected by climate change and how their magnitude and/or likelihood is expected to change
- Identification and evaluation of new community risks for the region not currently managed that will arise from climate change
- An understanding of the implications for the natural environment from climate change
- Actions to improve community and environmental resilience
Reporting and Direction
The Climate Impacts Group will take direction from, and report its activity to:
- The Risk Management Group of the Local Resilience Forum
- The Devon Climate Emergency Response Group
- The Cornwall Climate Change Board
- Isles of Scilly Emergency Planning
Reporting will be via the Climate Impacts Group members that represent each of the above groups.
Likewise, the Climate Impacts Group can advise the above groups of issues that require consideration.
The minutes of the Climate Impacts Group may be published online by any of the above groups.
Partner organisations of the Local Resilience Forum, plus any others with relevant knowledge that may be invited by them.
The Chair will be nominated by the members of the Climate Impacts Group from its membership.
The Climate Impacts Group is meeting on an ad-hoc basis.
The Climate Impacts Group will seek to make decision by consensus. If necessary, decisions can be taken by a majority vote, with the chair holding an additional casting vote.
The Climate Impacts Group can establish sub-groups to support its role on a task and finish basis.
The secretariat role is shared between the Environment Agency and the Devon Climate Emergency team, hosted by Devon County Council.
Climate Impacts Group members are encouraged to contribute staff time and other resources to produce outputs. Specific staff resource is available from the Environment Agency and the Devon Climate Emergency Team.
Funding requirements will be identified on an ad-hoc basis via the Climate Impacts Group members and escalated to the groups listed under ‘Reporting and Direction’ if necessary.