Search
Close this search box.

Climate Impacts Group Meeting Minutes, 9th January 2023

Attendees

Mark Rice
Alex Rainbow
Doug Eltham
Tom Dauben
Penny Tranter
Paul Minshull
Stephen Swabey
Louise Sawyer
Mike Waller
Rhys Hobbs
Emmanuelle Marshall
George Arnison
Charles Ffoulkes
Richard Saville
Nick Paling
Carolyn Cadman
Andrew McArthur
Hannah Oliver
Paul Lunt 
Environment Agency (Chair) 
Cornwall Council 
Devon County Council (Environment) 
Environment Agency 
Met Office 
Cornwall Council 
Council of the Isles of Scilly 
Devon and Cornwall Police 
Devon County Council (Environment) 
Cornwall Council 
Plymouth City Council 
Environment Agency 
RSK ADAS 
Cornwall Council 
West Water 
South West Water 
RSK ADAS 
RSK ADAS 
University of Plymouth 

Apologies

Emily Reed
Dai Morriss
Sara Gibbs
Stacy Griffiths 
Victoria Hatfield
Laurence Couldrick
Maria Van Hove
Anya Gopfert
Neil Hamlyn
Ruth Rockley
Thomas Cunningham
Lesley Newport
James Cooper
James Kershaw
Jacqui Warren
Devon Climate Emergency 
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service 
Public Health Devon 
Wales & West Utilities  
Exeter City Council 
Westcountry Rivers Trust 
Public Health, Exeter University and Torbay Council 
Environment Agency / Torbay Council 
Local Resilience Forum 
Cornwall Council 
Devon and Cornwall Police 
Environment Agency 
Environment Agency 
Devon County Council 
Torbay Council

1. Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed as an accurate record.

2. Update on the Adaptation Plan and Action Plan 

Andrew McArthur encouraged the Group to feedback comments on the Adaptation Options by the end of Wednesday 11th January 2023. Any additional adaptation options are welcome, too. These will be refined over the next 10 days. 

ACTION: All to feedback to Andrew by end of Wednesday.  

Brian Anderson described how the adaptation options have been used to develop adaptation pathways for key risks. This will be issued to the Group for comment shortly. 

George Arnison questioned whether the presentation of the pathways is appropriate, as the diagrams suggest some actions would happen concurrently, whilst others would be phased. But in reality many of them could occur concurrently. Andrew said that pathways have been designed based on the prioritisation of the adaptation options by the Group, which will reflect in part the resources and capacity of the responsible authorities to deliver activity.  

George, Tom Dauben and Paul Minshull said that understanding the dependencies and sequencing between the adaptation options is required.  

Andrew said that the Action Plan is now being prepared and the draft is scheduled for completion by the 27th January ready for a workshop on the same date to agree actions/responsibilities and timeframes that need to be included in the Plan. Following this there will be a 1.5 week review period between the 6th and 15th February. The Action Plan will then be completed for the 24th February. 

Paul suggested that that it would be a good idea to invite chairs of other existing groups responsible for flooding to the workshop on the 27th. Doug said that flooding is just one risk addressed by the Adaptation Strategy – if the workshop is opened up to flooding stakeholders it should arguably be opened up to other sectors. Increasing the stakeholder engagement at this stage could delay the process unnecessarily. Stakeholders have had the opportunity to be involved through the engagement workshops in November. Instead, Doug suggested the Group would need to keep local stakeholders informed of progress and ensure they are engaged again during the consultation stage. Emmanuel agreed.  

Case Studies 

Charles ran through the case studies that are being developed for the Adaptation Strategy. Feedback on these is welcome when they are circulated later.  

Nick commented that the single-issue cases studies run the risk of adaptation options missing system issues, and therefore place-based case studies may be more appropriate. Tom suggested that part of the case study template could depict what other risks in the risk register the case study relates to. Nick will think about this further.  

Penny suggested the case studies are put into the context of historical weather events. Charles agreed this would be a good idea.  

ACTION: Penny and Charles to discuss historical context of the case studies. 

3. Future Governance for Adaptation

Charles led the discussion.  

Provision of the Secretariat – , currently provided by Devon County Council. Mark advised that he can see the benefit of this function sitting with a regional organisation, or being shared between the three local authorities, to reinforce the regional nature of the partnership. Mark will continue to discuss with colleagues at the Environment Agency.  

Hosting of documents – Doug felt the Local Resilience Forum website would be a good place for the documents to be held regionally. Alternatively, Doug said that the Devon Climate Emergency website could host documents, and Devon County Council could continue to provide the internal SharePoint, too, if a more appropriate place can’t be found.  

Review periods – Charles suggested every 3 years. Rhys said that the Cornwall Local Plan is due for review in 2030 and so every 3 years would work well. George suggested that keeping the document live instead of scheduling reviews would be useful, particularly this first version that we’ll probably quickly realise has some rough edges. Tom supported this.  

Governance decisions were not taken at the meeting.  

ACTION: Secretariat to prepare proposals for the next meeting.  

4. Consultation Sign-Off Process in the Three Areas

Rhys confirmed that in the Cornwall area the draft Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan will need to be shared with the Council’s Leadership Team to get a steer as to whether the permission to consult  would be an officer or councillor decision.  This will need to occur after the 24th February once the complete draft is available.  

Stephen confirmed that the position is similar in the Isles of Scilly.  

ACTION: Secretariat to prepare a proposed consultation timetable for the next meeting, incorporating time for councillor decisions on sign-off.

Scroll to Top