Search
Close this search box.

Climate Impacts Group Meeting Minutes, 26th July 2023

Attendees

Mark Rice
Emily Reed
Doug Eltham
Donna Sibley
George Arnison
Jess Pryer
Emmanuelle Marshall
Ed Mellor 
Lesley Newport
Rhys Hobbs
Sara Gibbs
Louise Sawyer
Stephen Swabey
Zoe Sydenham
Victoria Hatfield
Tom Dauben
Harriet Googe
Environment Agency (Chair) 
Devon Climate Emergency 
Devon County Council (Natural Environment) 
Torridge District and North Devon Councils 
Environment Agency 
Met Office 
Plymouth City Council 
DCIoS Local Resilience Forum 
Environment Agency 
Cornwall Council 
Public Health Devon 
Devon and Cornwall Police 
Council of the Isles of Scilly 
Plymouth City Council 
Exeter City Council 
Environment Agency 
Environment Agency 

Apologies

John Galt
Laurence Couldrick
Paul Lunt
Paul Minshull
Richard Sweatman
Alex Rainbow
Richard Saville
Nick Paling
Claire Below
Carolyn Cadman
Maria Van Hove
Jacqui Warren
Ruth Rockley
Stacy Griffiths
Anya Gopfert
James Cooper
James Kershaw
Devon County Council (Flood and Coastal Risk) 
Westcountry Rivers Trust 
University of Plymouth 
Cornwall Council 
Devon and Cornwall Police  
Cornwall Council 
Cornwall Council 
South West Water 
Cornwall Council 
South West Water 
Public Health, Exeter University and Torbay Council 
Torbay Council 
Cornwall Council 
Wales & West Utilities  
Environment Agency / Torbay Council 
Environment Agency 
Devon County Council 

1. Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed as an accurate record.

All matters arising are scheduled for discussion on the main agenda.

2. Third National Adaptation Programme

Rhys gave an update on the Third National Adaptation Programme which has been published. The NAP3 sets out the key actions for 2023 to 2028. This report forms part of the 5-yearly cycle of requirements laid down in the Climate Change Act 2008. The narrative is starting to take the focus away from planning to action. It looks overseas where the UK has interests.  

The vision is bold as it talks about wanting to be ‘fully’ adapted. Yet can that situation ever be achieved? Can we ever plan for the extreme events, when we don’t know how extreme they will be? 

One action is to provide climate change projections to each upper tier authority.  

A further notable action is about trying to track the extent of private investment in adaptation activity.  

The actions identify which organisations will be responsible for delivery. Stephen suggested some reports have indicated that a new role is expected to coordinate strategic-level adaptation activity between government departments.  

The Group discussed the need for funding to deliver the national programme but also the DCIoS Climate Adaptation Strategy.  

ACTION: Emily to add a standing agenda item for group members to note funding opportunities.  

3. Adaptation Strategy Consultation 

Emily advised that we have received about 220 responses. Most of the responses support the adaptation strategy. 

The majority are from individuals – 23 were from organisations. Organisations included local authorities, town & parish councils, community and faith groups. Two businesses responded so there is clearly work to do to engage the business community further on adaptation.  

Younger audiences are underrepresented in the responses. 

Concern about climate change is prominent amongst the respondents across a range of issues such as drought, food security, international migration.  

Most of the respondents are from the Devon area rather than Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. Mark asked whether this could be skewed due to population.  

Despite the funded advertising campaigns on social media, in newspapers and radio, most people heard about the consultation via local networks (e.g. Whatsapp) and newsletters. 

Emily advised the secretariat will prepare a consultation report to share with the Group around the 17th August. This document will describe the proposed amendments to the strategy in response to the consultation comments.  

The Group AGREED for informal feedback on the proposed amendments to be submitted by the meeting of the Group on the 27th September. 

4. Resilient Farming Futures 

Emily has arranged for a presentation from Rothamsted about their new Resilient Farming Futures programme to provide new knowledge and tools to embed ‘resilience’ into UK agriculture. 

Scroll to Top