Climate Impacts Group Meeting Minutes, 23rd September 2022

Attendees

Helen Dobby
Emily Reed
Doug Eltham
Charles Ffoulkes
Sara Gibbs
Alex Rainbow
George Arnison
Paul Minshull
Emmanuelle Marshall
Louise Sawyer
Stephen Swabey
Mike Waller
Steven Crampton
Environment Agency
Devon Climate Emergency
Devon County Council
RSK
Public Health Devon
Cornwall Council
Environment Agency
Cornwall Council
Plymouth City Council
Devon and Cornwall Police
Council of the Isles of Scilly
Devon County Council
Met Office

Apologies

Andrew McArthur
Tom Dauben
Victoria Hatfield
Laurence Couldrick
Maria Van Hove
Nick Paling
Rhys Hobbs
Richard Saville
Anya Gopfert
Harriet Googe
Neil Hamlyn
Ruth Rockley
Thomas Cunningham
Carolyn Cadman
Lesley Newport
RSK
Environment Agency
Exeter City Council
Westcountry Rivers Trust
Public Health, Exeter University and Torbay Council
South West Water
Cornwall Council
Cornwall Council
Health Education England
Environment Agency
Local Resilience Forum
Cornwall Council
Devon and Cornwall Police
South West Water
Environment Agency

1. Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed as an accurate record.

One action is carried forward:

ACTION: Helen to invite Jess Dicken from the University of Exeter to the South West Place Shaping Group. Jess is developing a Local Climate Adaptation Tool.

Derek Thomas from the Valuation Office now chairs the South West Place Shaping Group. Sub-Groups will be formed in the coming weeks. Helen will be the Environment lead and can then invite Jess.

2. Climate Change Risk Register

Charles shared the latest version of the risk register on screen.

Risks Included

UK-level risks and opportunities have generally been excluded from the regional register, to keep the focus on aspects that local partners can influence.

Louise asked for risks relating to civil unrest and governance to remain in the regional register.

Sara asked for risks relating to disease to remain in the regional register.

Emmanuelle asked for risks relating to international human mobility to remain in the regional register.

Paul agreed and said it would be helpful to have a DCIoS slant on those risks. For example, increased risk of disease will be different in the region to cooler parts of the UK. An example relating to human mobility is migration within the region away from some coastal areas.  George added that the purpose of this work is to highlight specific risks for DCIoS, so let’s keep that in mind when developing the register so that it doesn’t become too diluted.

Magnitude and Urgency Scores

These are starting to be populated using the definitions used for the UK Climate Change Risk Assessment 3 (CCRA).

Magnitude scoring is attempting to use quantitative data where possible from the UK Climate Risk Indicators (www.uk-cri.org). Stephen raised that because the climate projections from this source are for ‘Devon and Cornwall’, it misses the nuances that the Isles of Scilly may expect. Stephen said that a narrative in the document explaining this would be fine.

ACTION: Charles to incorporate a narrative on the nuances that the Isles of Scilly may experience.

George asked for confirmation that sea level rise projections will be used. Charles confirmed that it will.

Input Required

Members of the Group are asked to review the Urgency Score for each risk.  

Helen suggested sub-group meetings to populate the spreadsheets, rather than relying on individuals to access Sharepoint documents. Charles agreed and said they would probably be Natural Environment, Health, Business & Industry, and Infrastructure.

Sara added that it’s important we keep in mind global risk when preparing this regional strategy, as we are not operating in isolation. And that the adaptation risk management needs to be mindful of global activity on carbon mitigation, as efforts to reduce emissions will affect the extent of the necessary adaptation response.

ACTION: Charles will arrange sub-group meetings.

3. Update on the Cornwall Climate Change Risk Register

Alex reported that the Register has been approved for publication by Cabinet.

4. AOB

  • Paul said that we need this work to set a narrative that there are plenty of actions we can take to improve resilience to climate. We mustn’t let this work communicate a depressing future because otherwise it will be difficult to engage the people who will be vital to delivering change. Emily said engaging communities will be part of the Strategy.
  • Helen reported that she will be handing over the role of regional director in a few weeks. Helen will catch-up with Emily about who will take over the chair. The Group thanked Helen for a leadership over the past 2.5 years.
Scroll to Top