Climate Impacts Group Meeting Minutes, 18th March 2022

Attendees

Emily Reed – Devon Climate Emergency 

Emily Widdecombe – Devon Climate Emergency 

Doug Eltham – Devon Climate Emergency

Laurence Couldrick – West Country Rivers Trust 

Alex Rainbow – Cornwall Council 

Louise Sawyer – Devon and Cornwall Police

Penny Tranter – Met Office 

Victoria Hatfield – Exeter City Council 

Douglas Lisle – NHS England 

Paul Minshull - Cornwall Council 

Apologies

Mark Rice (Chair) – Environment Agency 

Elliot Batty – D&CIoS Local Resilience Forum 

Harriet Googe – Environment Agency 

Jacqui Warren – Torbay Councill

Ruth Rockley – Devon County Council 

Tom Dauben – Environment Agency 

Hannah Fox – Cornwall Council 

Neil Hamlyn – D&CIoS Local Resilience Forum  

Peter Chamberlain – Devon County Council

Lucinda Brook – Plymouth City Council

Emmanuelle Marshall – Plymouth City Council

1. Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed as an accurate record. All items will be picked up on today’s agenda.

2. Latest IPCC Climate Impacts Report

The report is the most comprehensive review of climate impacts since 2014. They overarching message is that climate change is continuing to impact nature and communities across the world and limiting the ability of people to meet their needs. However, we are increasingly understanding climate impacts better and we are becoming able to attribute individual events to climate change. The report identifies 127 key risks and notes that often more than one risk occurs at the same time.

Progress on adaptation planning has been observed across all sectors and regions and politically awareness is growing.

Key messages:

  • It’s not too late but accelerated action on carbon reduction is required.
  • We need to be careful to avoid maladaptation.
  • We need enabling institutions, governance, politics and finance to allow adaptation to occur at the speed necessary.

3. The updated Terms of Reference for the group

Emily R presented the updated terms of reference incorporating the suggestions from the previous meeting.

The Group AGREED the revised terms of reference.

ACTION: CIG members to update these on their project websites.

4. Appointment of a contractor to accelerate the work of the group

Emily has been liaising with the procurement team at Devon County Council. A procurement officer has been assigned to support the work and progress has been made at developing the specification for the works.

Emily asked the Group’s opinion on some outstanding issues:

a) Is engaging individual coastal communities and chambers of commerce at this stage too detailed?

Paul M said that finding a representative from the associations of local councils is probably a better solution at this stage. Doug E agreed that a similar approach can work in Devon.

Laurence suggested the contractor may consider running workshops to gain the opinion of a number of councils or chambers of commerce – and this approach could be applied to any of the sectors that need to be engaged. But this will need to be constrained by the resource we have available.

ACTION: Emily to check the membership of the CIG distribution list before sharing with the contractor as some staff have moved on from their posts. Paul M will send a revised list to Emily.

Victoria H asked if the contractor will be expected to calculate the cost of adaptation. Emily said we could look at strategic costs, apportioned locally from national studies. Doug agreed. Paul M said opportunities for funding should be included.

b) What should be the end date for the work?

Emily said that 6 months is being considered as a deadline. Paul M said he’d expect 2 months for a literature review, 1 – 2 months of analysis and engagement and 1 – 2 months for collation. So, 6 months seems reasonable to provide breathing space. Laurence agreed but added that it depends upon how quickly the contractor can mobilise, so 6 months from mobilisation.

ACTION: Emily to ensure that the brief for tender reflects the groups comments on timelines.

Victoria H said aviation should be added to Table 3. Penny suggested considering additional marine stakeholders. Emily said that we’ve got harbour and port authorities included which is likely to be sufficient at this point. Paul M agreed that this is sufficient at this time given the resources available.

Paul M said that a useful outcome from this work would be greater clarity over conflicts between strategies and which policy has priority e.g. between planning and climate adaptation.

The resulting strategy will also be used to lobby for funding having identified risks.

Victoria H said it feels rural focussed.

ACTION: Victoria to share with Emily where updates are needed to ensure urban areas are better represented.

Paul M said to add tourism organisations.

Victoria and Paul M said the 30/70 price/quality split is acceptable.

It was suggested that we ask a quality question to see examples of the contractors’ previous work. Laurence said we need to ask about the capacity to deliver as well.

Louise said that we need to ensure the updates to this group’s Terms of Reference are updated in the specification.

5. Suggested Contractors to Approach

Emily R provided a list of contractors who will be approached. Paul M said that the larger contractors may not feel interested.  

The group suggested finding some smaller, local, contractors to notify as well. 

ACTION: Members of the group to let Emily know if they are interested in being on the evaluation panel.

ACTION: Emily to seek to identify smaller contractors to notify of the request for quotation.

6. What Comes Next?

Paul M asked what comes next?

Emily said there’ll be a consultation. Paul said the ‘Let’s Talk Cornwall’ platform could be used to support that.

Doug said that there’s also the link to the Local Resilience Forum and so the priorities identified by this work will be used to inform tactical level implementation of projects.

7. AOB

Penny reported that the National Climate Conference is occurring on the 29th of March.